reproduction vintage gun sleeve

Anyone out there with husbands/fathers/brothers who hunt? If not, this is possibly the least favorite project you'll see on my site.  That said, I'm really excited I finished these two custom gun sleeves for my dad. 


My dad is a huge pheasant hunter, and hunter in general.   He grew up on a farm just outside Lake City, Minnesota.  I hear lots of crazy stories about his family life and growing up on the farm.  As well as a lot of old hunting stories.  Really, you wouldn't believe some of the stories, they're amazing and funny, and I don't ever get sick of hearing them.


He gave me a few pictures and measurments of a vintage gun sleeve that he really liked.  I told him I'd give it a shot and it ended up pretty great.  I made my own pattern and it's basically just a mini quilt.  I used a canvas for the exterior with a homespun cotton for the lining and cotton batting in the middle.  Finished it off with some store bought binding and a couple wooden buttons.


The Winchester logo is a freezer paper stencil.  Glad I had read Elsie Marley's post about her freezer paper skirt (which by the way is such a beautiful skirt).  I reused the freezer paper and ironed it on a second time for the other gun sleeve, nice time saver, thanks Meg. 

Now he'll be the envy of the gun club.