dishmats

I love practical things, I admit it.  I especially love them when they're beautiful as well.  Form follows function, right?  Not so fast, maybe Frank Lloyd Wright might have said it best.


Well these don't quite compare to any Frank LLoyd Wright design, but I do love my new dishmats.  I saw a couple people making these earlier this year and have had them on my list ever since. 

I cut up a scuzzie old towel with rust stains on it and no one knows the difference.  Fly Through Our Window has a great little tutorial (it's a downloadable pdf) on how to make one (or two).  I didn't follow her tutorial, but just wanted to use up some scraps.  I made these to fit next to my sink when I hand wash all those big pots and pans and cutting boards.  I used it the other night and couldn't stop staring at the pretty fabric.  Now if that doesn't encourage a little dish washing, I don't know what will!